This way you can protect your biometric data
Biometrics is a hot topic in spy movies. Doors open with an iris scan and confidential information is locked with voice recognition. Your valuables can also be locked with a fingerprint. Of course, there is no more secure authentication process. After all, no one can take a fingerprint from you? Nothing is less true! In this article, we explain how you can protect your biometric data and why this is a good idea.
What are biometric data?
Biometrics is a technology that converts unique physical characteristics into measurable data. Biometric identification is then used to identify a person based on these characteristics. Thus, biometrics are physiological and behavioral characteristics that can be used to confirm an individual’s identity.
How does biometric authentication work?
In general, biometric data is used to confirm an individual’s identity. Everyone has unique characteristics, so you can be sure that the right person gets access. Therefore, this authentication method is very popular.
The verification process is the same for all biometric security systems. During this process you go through the following steps:
1. Your original data is stored in the device even before you can verify your identity with your biometric data.
2. The biometric security system registers your data with a sensor if you want to identify yourself.
3. Special software compares your original data with the data obtained from the scan. If these details match, you will be granted access.
Most people verify their identity with biometrics all day long. Do you have a phone with a fingerprint or facial recognition? Then biometric data can no longer be ignored in your life.
Most people verify their identity with biometrics all day long. Do you have a phone with a fingerprint or facial recognition? Then you can no longer ignore biometric data in your life.
To never have to use a code on your smartphone again, register your biometric data after purchasing the device. After your fingerprint or face has been carefully registered by your device, you can now easily log in to your phone. How convenient is that!
Logging in with biometric data is a lot less exciting than it seems in the movies. Chances are you’re not being chased by a bunch of bad guys trying to stop you from doing a good deed. Unfortunately, some criminals want to get their hands on your biometric data. Protecting your biometric data is therefore not unimportant.
Popular biometric identifiers
Did you know that there are 20 unique characteristics by which you can recognize a person? These characteristics are all used in biometric identifiers. We explain four popular biometric identifiers!
- Facial Recognition Smartphones are increasingly using this authentication method. Special technology scans the unique features of your face. Based on this information, you can now log in by scanning your face with a special scanner.
- Fingerprint scan A fingerprint scan is also used very often. To verify your identity, the pattern of your fingerprint is stored and you will only be granted access if your fingerprint pattern exactly matches the stored data.
- Speech recognition More and more devices use speech recognition. Whether you want to access your safe or control your smart-home system. By simply making a statement like “Hey Google, turn on the lights”, a device knows exactly what steps to take. The system registers the sound waves of your voice in advance and ultimately uses this data for the verification process.
- Iris scan An iris scan registers the unique characteristics of your iris. It’s a lot harder to fake someone’s iris. This verification method is therefore a lot more secure than the above. Extremely important data is therefore often monitored with an iris scan.
Just think how many people around you use a smartphone with facial recognition or a fingerprint. Biometrics are more common than we think! Criminals are aware of this and therefore invent all kinds of methods to get their hands on this data. Your biometric data is also not nearly as secure as you think. Protecting your biometric data is therefore very important.
Holidays Deal - Lifetime VPN for €149.00
Start today with GOOSE VPN and get this deal! You can try it 30 days without any risk with our 30 day money back guaranteeSTART NOW
Biometric data is always safe: fact or fable?
Movies have created the wrong image of biometric data for years, so many people have the idea that you can take on the whole world with this data. Unfortunately, this is not the case.
First of all, your biometric data is a lot less private than you think in advance. For example, take a verification method for which you use voice recognition, and then think about how many videos are on social media in which your voice can be heard. For a criminal, this is enough information to put together a good recording of your voice. The danger is a lot closer than you think.
Hackers are also after your biometric data, and they manage to retrieve the data. Before you can verify your identity with this data, it is stored on a device. Hackers have an extensive skills package with which they can hack this device. To prevent this, you can protect your biometric data.
Protect your biometric data
To be a lot more sure that no one else will use your data, you can protect your biometric data. There are several ways you can do this:
- Biometric data alone often does not provide sufficient protection. Combine your unique features with a strong password that only you know for multi-factor authentication. Criminals then need multiple details to gain access to your well-guarded assets.
- Use a VPN connection to secure your internet connection. As a result, criminals can no longer intercept your internet traffic and it becomes a lot more difficult to get hold of your biometric data.
Protect your biometric data with GOOSE VPN
Do you want to protect your biometric data from now on? This is possible with the VPN connections from GOOSE VPN. We are a Dutch provider of VPN connections that offer a reliable VPN that guarantees you can protect your biometric data at a low price.
Register with GOOSE VPN
You can use GOOSE VPN to protect your biometric data as quickly as possible. Sign up now and receive a 30-day money-back guarantee!