This way you can protect yourself against tracking
You don’t just share your location with anyone. Let alone sharing your location with, for example, cybercriminals or other unauthorized persons. Yet there are always parties that are after your location and follow your location. We call this geo-tracking. Aren’t you waiting for that? Then you can protect yourself against geotracking.
What is Geo Tracking?
Geotracking is a technology used to track the location of a device or person. This can be done through GPS signals, Wi-Fi networks or cell phone towers. Many smartphones and other mobile devices have built-in GPS receivers, allowing them to determine their location and send it to apps or services that use geotracking.
Geotracking is often used for navigation, traffic management, e-commerce and marketing, for example. Some apps and services that you have installed on your device may use your location to show you targeted advertisements or offers or to show your social network where you are.
There are also security and privacy risks associated with geotracking. Making your location available to unauthorized persons can lead to stalking, identity theft or other forms of abuse. That’s why it’s important to know which apps have access to your location and whether you want to grant them access, and also to shield your location on your phone device if you want to.
What are the dangers of geotracking?
- Privacy Invasion: Geotracking can lead to an invasion of your privacy, as it makes it possible to track where a person is and where they are going.
- Identity Theft: Geotracking data can be used to collect personal information, such as credit card information, social security numbers, or other information that can be used to commit identity theft.
- Stalking: Geotracking can lead to stalking, as it makes it possible to track where a person is and who he or she is meeting.
- Abuse by third parties: Geotracking data can be used by third parties with less good intentions, such as criminals or governments, to collect information or to exercise control.
- Security Risks: Geotracking can lead to security risks, such as burglary or sabotage because the information collected can be used to gain access to secured buildings or other areas.
- Ad targeting: Geotracking can lead to targeted ads and offers, which are sometimes not welcome or desired by a person.
It is recommended that you be aware of which apps have access to your location and whether you want to grant them access, and also shield your location on your phone device if you wish.
Am I a victim of geotracking?
There are a number of ways you can find out if you are a victim of geotracking:
- Unsolicited messages or calls: If you receive unsolicited messages or calls from people or companies you don’t know, or who have specific information about your location, your information may have been stolen or misused.
- Unexpected bills: If you receive unexpected bills from companies that you do not know have your information, or if you receive bills for services or products that you have not used, this may be an indication of geotracking.
- Pop-up Ads: If you see pop-up ads specifically targeting your location, or offering specific products or services that you have recently purchased, this may be an indication of geotracking.
- Review your device settings: Look at your phone or other mobile device settings, and make sure the location settings are set to “private” and that access to your location is limited to apps you trust.
Geotracking is not always clearly visible. It is therefore important to regularly check your account settings and watch out for unsolicited messages or requests. Do you want to avoid becoming a victim of geotracking? Then you can protect yourself against geotracking.
How can you protect yourself against geotracking?
There are several ways you can protect yourself against geotracking:
- Restrict access to your location: Restrict access to your location to apps you trust. This can be done by checking the location settings of your phone or other mobile device and limiting access to your location to apps you really need.
- Read the privacy statement: Read the privacy statement of apps and services you use to know how your data is used and shared
- Use a VPN: A virtual private network (VPN) can encrypt your Internet connection and shield your IP address, making it more difficult for unauthorized persons to steal or track your information.
- Turn off the GPS: Turn off the GPS on your device when not in use.
- Limit the amount of information you share: Be careful about sharing personal information, such as your location, on social media or other online platforms.
- Block unknown numbers: Block unknown numbers from approaching you to prevent geotracking phone calls.
- Set the location settings to private: Set the location settings to private so that the apps that cannot access your location cannot see where you are.
Fortunately, you can protect yourself against geotracking in a lot of different ways. By paying sufficient attention to shielding your location, you can be sure that cyber criminals and other unauthorized parties can no longer see where you are and where you are going.
Protect yourself against geotracking with GOOSE VPN
GOOSE VPN’s VPN connections help you hide your IP address. This allows you to protect yourself against geotracking.To hide your location with GOOSE VPN, you can follow the following steps:
- Download and install GOOSE VPN on your phone and/or computer. You can install GOOSE VPN on an unlimited number of devices. You can also install the GOOSE VPN VPN connections on your router. This protects the actual location of all devices connected to your home network.
- Open our VPN app and select a server in another country. This will hide your own IP address and link your device to the IP address of the server you are connected to. Your own location can no longer be traced.
- Connect to the VPN server so that your internet connection is encrypted and your IP address is protected.
Register with GOOSE VPN
Do you want to protect yourself against geotracking? Register with GOOSE VPN and receive a 30-day money-back guarantee. No one can see your location without permission.